The Incorporated Society for the Promotion of Protestant Schools in Ireland was granted a charter in 1733 by the King of England, George II.
Irish Charter Schools were operated by The Incorporated Society in Dublin for Promoting English Protestant Schools in Ireland. The Charter Schools admitted only Catholics, under the condition that they be educated as Protestants. These schools were intended, in the words of their programme, "to rescue the souls of thousands of poor children from the dangers of Popish superstition and idolatry, and their bodies from the miseries of idleness and beggary".
Today the schools operate in a spirit of inclusiveness & togetherness reflecting the Protestant Ethos & Values.
The Society encourages education by the awarding of scholarships & grants to qualified candidates from four schools in Bandon, Dundalk, Kilkenny & Sligo.